Essential Tips to Successfully Relocating Your Library: A Guide By Professionals
Are you planning to change the location of your library or relocate your print company? It can be a large, complex and time-consuming project that can be tricky for all parties involved.
But it would be best if you didn't have to do it alone. Employing the help of a specialist library relocation company can significantly increase the success of the relocation while decreasing the stress, time and costs. Our special numbered trolleys have been developed to transport complete shelves of library books, so that your sequential library system is preserved while it’s being relocated.
chess moving library trolley system:
Many different aspects need to be considered in your relocation, from planning every detail, meticulously organising the books, communicating with your team, movers and customers, and so on.
Here are some top tips to help you manage a successful library relocation.
Start as early on as possible:
Before you plan your move, it is essential to start thinking about the relocation as early on in the process as possible. Every library will require a different approach, and the head start will enable you to give yourself time to consult different areas of expertise to ensure the most efficient logistical relocation is planned. This includes stakeholders, employees, volunteers, customers and moving experts.
It is essential to consider what parts of your business will be impacted by this relocation and who will be impacted. For example, you likely have a local community of readers who enjoy spending time in your library, school visits, classes hosted in-house, employees with a dedicated workspace, computers and servers, a shop or cafe, etc. This will assist you in planning for minimal disruptions for everyone involved.
Get a Moving Quote
Create an inventory
Take a detailed inventory of everything you have, from books to DVDs to office furniture and shelves. This will give you time to consider what you want to keep and what you will throw away, and how much space in the new site is required.
Do you know everything you need to know about the new location?
It is vital to consider the structure and layout of the new site. Is it bigger, smaller or the same size? Are you going to need to purchase and put up new furniture and shelving, or are you able to dismantle and transfer everything you already have? Will the new site need cleaning or decorating first? These elements are vital and should be determined before the large scale plan is put together.
Get a quote from your library relocation company.
Your library relocation company will be able to help you plan, organise and transfer your library over to the new site. It is important to speak to them as early on in this process, so you can consider their fees within your budget and expenditure allocations and gain their expert advice from the start on the best practices for moving. The advice and insights will be invaluable for putting together the final plan for the relocation.
Get a Moving Quote
The ultimate plan to move your relocation forward with ease
Creating a plan for your library relocation is one of the first and most important steps you should take. A plan should be as detailed as possible to ensure a smooth and efficient relocation. It also ensures as little disruption as possible to employees and readers and continuity of services.
A successful plan will involve all members of staff, the expertise of a specialist moving team and any other relevant parties. The plan should be easy to understand, kept up-to-date and establish a timeline for the project.
Here are some of the most important things you need to consider when creating your plan:
- Who is overseeing the move
- The allocation of budget for the employees, the movers, the equipment, new equipment, and the inevitable downtime during the move
- Extra resources you will need to assist you with the move.
- Will you still operate while the move is happening? Will customers be able to access the library's collection during the relocation?
- What you would like to keep for the relocation, what you would like to get rid of, and what you would like to store away.
- The library moving company you wish to use to assist the move.
- The packing process (who, what, where, when, how).
- Ensuring all IT systems and software is backed up and ready to be unplugged and moved.
- Which Employees/volunteers to help with the move, what their roles and responsibilities are going to be.
- The structure/layout of the new space (this needs to consider the needs of your customers, accessibility and practicality)
- How to check the progress of the relocation to ensure decisions are made efficiently, and expenditure is kept on track and deadlines are met.
- Identify any risks associated with relocating, for example, the safety of those involved, potential hazards, damage and insurance.
- The re-opening of the library or print company
Adequate communication of your plan is essential.
The plan itself is important, but ensuring that the plan and the shared vision for the new site have been communicated to everyone involved in the process. This includes liaising with the library moving company, employees, volunteers, stakeholders and your customers. The method of communication throughout the process should be chosen, and who is in charge of all communications. For example, an update on the company website or perhaps a newsletter is more efficient.
This is to ensure the move is as organised as possible, but also ensures your customers are kept up to date, happy and to ensure their return to your place of business. It is also essential to consider informing people up to date about the relocation, especially if there are any setbacks or delays. Not only is this the professional thing to do, but it also shows your customers that they are valued.
Strategically pack your books without lifting a finger.
Packing strategically" means thinking about keeping your precious items and books safe and in good condition while also considering how they will be unpacked efficiently at the new site. A reliable, sequential packing system that will help you unpack your books to the right places upon arrival is vital for a successful move.
The second aspect to consider is what you are going to pack your items and books in. With the volume of books a library holds and their weight combined, cardboard boxes will not suffice.
Chess Moving has pioneered the library trolley system, a specialist, reliable piece of equipment that transports complete shelves of library books with ease, keeping them intact and in sequential order, ready to transfer to the new site. This state-of-the-art equipment protects your books from being crushed and provides you with emergency access to all the books if any need to be retrieved.
It is important to pack with care for all the other items, such as IT equipment, computer networks, servers, ornaments, employee belongings, office furniture, and other items for sale. Here are some tips:
- Use sturdy boxes
- Pack any office files, paperwork and books with the spine pointed downwards
- Use old papers, newspapers or packing papers to wrap fragile items
- Place fragile items at the top of any boxes
- Tape the lids shut of any liquids
Ensure all boxes are adequately labelled fragile, so items are not damaged in transit.
The one thing you need for a successful relocation
Moving or relocating your library requires a lot of planning and care and can be a long and frustrating process without the help of experts.
One of the biggest challenges that libraries face when relocating is the organisation of the books. Books in boxes can be heavy, easily damaged, and cause much disruption. They require meticulous organisation and barcoding along the way.
Hiring a specialist library removal company will be critical to a successful relocation.
Chess Moving is a reliable, expert library relocating service that prides itself on the best planning, scheduling, packing and managing.
Specialist library removalists have the most desirable benefits:
- Specialists have years of experience in relocating libraries so that they can do it with ease, efficiency and the utmost care and respect for your belongings and books.
- Industry leaders with innovative, state-of-the-art equipment to protect your books, provide you with access to them throughout the move and store them in a safe space, where their sequential order stays intact.
- They do not just turn up and move your belongings; they also help you plan and organise the move. This in itself has many benefits. With their moving experience, they will be able to assess the locations and prepare for any unforeseen circumstances.
- Understand the intricacy of moving a library system and offer a range of services tailored to suit your needs and protect your assets
- Professionals that you can trust with your prized possessions
- Cost and time-efficient
Hiring a professional moving company has many benefits. First, however, it takes the pressure off you in a complex and daunting challenge. In addition, specialists have years of experience relocating libraries, which means you can rest knowing the job is done to a high standard. Finally, it allows you to get back to what you do best.
Are you thinking of relocating your library? Chess Crew offer a range of commercial and residential moving services with years of experience behind them. They are highly trained professionals ready to pack, transport and reinstall the library for an efficient relocation.
Looking for a Removalist Service?
Are you looking for a removalist company to make your move much easier? Chess Moving has a comprehensive plan to ensure a seamless move for every client, whether local, interstate or abroad. With decades of experience providing reliable, helpful and friendly removalists services, Chess Moving offers an additional integrated safety plan to guarantee completely safe moving for every one of your family members and team. Reach us now to know how we can assist you.
Choosing Chess Moving
Whether you’re moving locally, interstate, or overseas, you can count on Chess Moving to provide dependable, helpful, and friendly removalist services. Our knowledgeable staff will give you the right advice and deliver on time, every time.
Contact Us with Questions Get a Moving Quote
COVID-19 Customer Declaration Form.