Chess Blog

Driving in the U.S. with an Australian License

If you're moving to the United States, being able to drive a motor vehicle is vital. In major cities like New York and Washington, D.C., public transportation systems are large and can help you get almost anywhere you need to go, but smaller cities often don't have mass transit systems, particularly in the suburbs. Because of this, it's important for you to learn the driving requirements for your new home prior to your move from Australia to the U.S.

In the United States, driving laws are not instituted at the federal level. Instead, each state is able to determine who can and cannot legally drive within their borders. Most states will allow a new immigrant to drive with an Australian license, provided they have an International Driving Permit. This is a credential that you must obtain before you move.


The laws for getting a driver's license will also vary from state to state, but in most cases, you'll need to take a written test and a driving test to qualify for a license. Some states do allow legal residents to transfer their licenses after passing just a written test.


To learn more about the specific driver's license requirements for your destination in the U.S., you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for that state. Chess Moving can also assist you with your research as a part of our international moving services. Contact us to learn more. 



No comments have been added.

Add a Comment
Input Verification To help us avoid spam, please enter the text exactly as you see it in the image below. If your text doesn't match the image, you'll be able to try again with a different image.
Load a different image
Submit Form